i wonder about email/online/tech etiquette.
certain things are clear enough, but some are real confusing.
caps in sms-es or emails is either emphasis or just plain old screaming
you start mails with a salutation, you address the person by his/her name
you can relax some of the rules if it’s with friends.
but emails and texts are now an accepted form of formal/official communication. given that the mode of communication itself is curt and crisp, shouldn’t extra care be taken on the tone?
i receive on an average 150 emails a day. a lot if is sickeningly sweet and ‘correct’ PRs and requests. some are downright rude; and some are plain confusing. you can’t quite make out the person or the intention.
i am careful about passing judgements and jumping to conclusions (probably because i am prone to).
i understand that even face-to-face words and actions can be misconstrued. so chances of distortion are greater in an email or text.
still there are cases that bother me.
here is my crib list.
- for me, when i get mails without a proper address/salutation, it annoys me.
- when people send text in all caps, i wonder why he/she wants to be loud about the message.
- when people reply-all to messages that DON’T require it, it gets to me.
- i hate BCCs. it’s not FAIR.
- why the hell do people attach 8, 9, 15 and even 26mb attachments? it messes with the server, and hello, haven’t they heard of FTP sites? It’s free.
- and i find read receipts painful.
- i HATE it when people are constantly texting or are on calls while in a group. i don’t mind a one-off, or even a couple. but not if they are doing it the entire duration of a meeting or dinner.
- loud disco dandiya ring tones in hospital, theatres, and schools are not ok.
- there should also be a limit on the forwards you send. check with the recipients if it’s welcome.
so tell me what really pisses you off? i am all ears and eyes.